I Have No Idea What to Eat Today
Yes, I confess…some days I have no idea what to eat. How can this be so? I (the self-confessed health junkie) have been obsessed with eating healthy, organic food for years now. I go to an amazing school where I have learned about dozens of dietary theories from world leaders in nutrition. My main priority everyday is to nourish my family with organic, whole foods. So, why some days do I not know what to eat?
Well, the world of food and nutrition can be a very confusing one. There are so many messages out there telling us what to eat, when to eat, where to eat, and how to eat. There are thousands of books written on diets, nutrition, and the latest superfoods.
Although I am pretty savvy when it comes to this whole food thing, having spent years trying to figure it all out, there are still some days when I feel like who’s role do I follow? Who is right in all of this? From vegan to raw foods to macrobiotics, and many more, there is a lot of good, sound information and theories out there. And some days they all seem to make sense to me.
What I have concluded is that this is my journey. I will figure it all out on my own. What is right for the vegan next to me is not necessarily right for me and my body. It’s all about bio-individuality. There is no one-size-fits-all nutritional lifestyle. Everyone, depending on environment, age, gender, blood type, etc., has different dietary needs. This idea perfectly suits me and feels right because I certainly don’t want to get all preachy when it comes to writing about food!
So, it’s true, some days I don’t know what to eat and that is ok. One thing I can say is that on those days, I don’t go into a tailspin of binge eating. My focus is to stay close to organic, whole foods. I am in tune with my body, and I can feel what it can tolerate and what it can’t. I recommend that you also pay attention to the way certain foods make you feel. So many common complaints, such as headaches, fatigue, racing heart, etc., come from the foods that we put in our bodies. How does your food make you feel? Tune in to your body’s needs and find what nourishes you!
Some of my favorite go-to foods…
- Eggs (free range, organic of course!). I can turn eggs into a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I often add leftover veggies to create a great omelet!
- Juice. And I don’t mean store bought OJ. I make my own! Sometimes I just don’t know what to eat for lunch so I just make juice! My favorite fruits and veggies to juice include kale, carrot, celery, cucumber, lemon, ginger, and parsley. Now how’s that for nutrition? Amazingly delicious!
- Apples with organic Sunbutter. Sometimes when I am craving a sweet snack, this just hits the spot! Sliced apples with a bit of Sunbutter is a great snack that everyone in my family loves!
- Summer fruit. Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries are abundant right now! I am loving these every day.
- Quinoa. This fabulous ancient grain is high in protein and easy to prepare. I love it and you can add just about anything to it! Make it a cold summer salad with cucumbers, olives, herbs, and some homemade vinaigrette. Or, turn it into a delicious dinner with some roasted zucchini and squash, as well as your favorite beans. Any way it is a win, win!